Thursday, September 13, 2007

Poor Man's P.R. - Press Release Part 2

Effective Content

There’s no point in sending out a press release that isn’t focused on your objective: convincing more people to check out your business and its offerings. You’re pitching for customers, so make sure your best arguments for why you do it better are included in your release.

1. Be honest and straightforward. Don’t overhype. Don’t stretch the truth.

2. In the first paragraph put answers to the five W’s: Who? What? Where? Why? When? The first paragraph contains the most important information. The rest of the release includes information in descending order of importance.

3. Write in clear language. Keep it simple and easily understood, but at all costs do not patronize by spelling out basic information.

4. Add a few quotes of you commenting on your project, for example, “I saw a need that wasn’t being met, so I decided to post my thoughts on the hurdles facing micro-business entrepreneurs. Plus, everybody loves a good rags-to-riches story - and a formula for their own success. That’s what my blog gives them,” said Arleigh Cee regarding her blog, http:\\homepreneur.blogspot.com

The quotes are useful to journalists who may be scoping for a quick and easy filler piece. Basically, you’ve done all the work for them. If they’re facing a tight deadline and writer’s block, they don’t even have to call you.

See the example below of how I put my own press release together. (Note: the formatting's a big wonky here. Make sure you follow my instructions in Part 1.)


FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE September 11, 2007

CONTACT: Arleigh Cee
604-XXX-XXXX

BLOGGER ARLEIGH CEE CALLS FOR PEOPLE
TO GET FEET WET AND BECOME BUSINESS OWNERS

Challenging the belief that you have to have buckets of money to start your own business, Vancouver writer, Arleigh Cee is blogging - http://homepreneur.blogspot.com - to encourage kitchen-table entrepreneurs to come forth and prosper. From business ideas to p.r. and marketing advice Homepreneur covers the gamut of everything a home-based business owner needs to know.

Commenting on why she started her blog, Arleigh Cee said, “I’d noticed an increased interest in kitchen-table entrepreneurs on shows like Montel and Oprah. I think more and more people are wanting to escape the daily rat race and have more control over their time and finances. And most everybody I’ve spoken with has an idea for their own small-business. I consider it my job as a blogger to encourage people to get their toes wet, if only as a part-time hobby. And you never know, one of my readers could be the next rags-to-riches story I cover.”

Stepping out from the crowd of business blogs out there, Homepreneur aims to help people with tens or hundreds of dollars to invest, not the big money most business blogs assume their readers have to throw around. “I want to offer useful information to the kitchen-table entrepreneur, the little guy or gal who isn’t being offered much of anything these days. I want to see them thrive and get rich,” added Ms. Cee.

- # # # -

No comments: